SOCIAL MEDIA

Tuesday 19 February 2019

✖️ GAD & Battling Constant Fear


I’m an anxious person. It’s often hard for me to openly talk about my anxiety, because not one thing in particular will trigger it, it’s everything…

This isn’t something new to me, I’m very familiar with this. I’ve been dealing with constant fear and anxiety for almost as long as I can remember. Growing up I was a handful at times due to my anxiety and it only got worse as I got older.

High school quite possibly could have been the worst time for my anxiety. Every day I dreaded going and I could never really pinpoint why that was. Tests were the absolute worst, it was almost a ritual that I was ill the day of a test. I was always so drained once the day was done that it became a bad habit to come home and nap until supper, every single day. Once I started proper therapy I got a lot better at controlling it, and gained some really helpful tips and coping mechanisms, that I still use to this day.

Some days are harder than others. On a bad day, it seems like every small thing is a trigger. On some of my bad days something that is a strong trigger are doorknobs and touching someone else's hand, silly, I know; but I constantly imagine all the bacteria, germs, and becoming ill. That itself is enough to make me spiral and send me into a panic attack. Another could be my appearance. I sometimes get stressed related acne and that can set me off and I won’t be able to leave my house all day.

Today, I still have my bad days. I can be irrational, emotional, irritable, needy and the list goes on. But, I’m a lot better than I used to be. Today, I try to raise awareness and help others recognize signs. I still deal with stigma around my anxiety, being called “psychotic”, “nut-case”, “paranoid” etc… I strive to help end the stigma around all mental illness and help others gain a better understanding.

If you have any questions or concerns, please reach out!

14 comments :

  1. This is such a brave post to write lovely, well done! I was diagnosed with GAD just two years ago, and it made sense as to why I'd work myself up so much for the smallest of everyday life tasks. It took me a huge amount of time to ask for help, but I'm so glad I finally plucked up the courage to do it.

    Kayla | www.kaylajayne.co.uk
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such an amazing and honest post! I must say that I often feel nervous. Sometimes for the littlest things I need to do or situations I need to a part of. I know that it's something I constantly need to work on. x

    Antonia || Sweet Passions

    ReplyDelete
  3. You are so strong and brave for sharing your experiences. So many people deal with this issue and are uncomfortable sharing it with the people around them. I use to get anxiety in specific situations, and I always felt so embarrassed whenever I had an episode. It got better with time, and I was lucky enough to have people around me that were understanding and helped me get through it. I am happy to read it does get better for you, and personally, I believe that being open about it will help too.
    Madi
    https://madidearson.com/

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad you chose to write about dealing with anxiety. It helps a lot of people to see that they're not alone with the issue. It's a bit step to talk about it in public ♥

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thank you for sharing, you are very brave to post about this but it’s great that you are spreading awareness!

    I get very anxious a lot but I can too say I’m much better than I used to be! It’s a process and I wish you all the best!

    Jessica & James | www.foodandbaker.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing! I can definitely relate as I suffer from GAD and panic attacks. Just know that you are strong and you’re not alone. There are so many of us battling this every day! xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey thanks for sharing, I deal with anxiety every day and can totally relate to this post. I kept all my anxiety hidden and never told anyone because I was too embarrassed. I've since realized that there are so many people who feel exactly the same and it's so comforting to know that we're not alone. Keep strong, always here to talk if you need someone to vent to. xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. this was so important to share! Well done x

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great post, thank you for sharing. I was diagnosed with GAD about 7 years ago (wow!) and can totally relate to the feeling of battling constant fear of anything, everything and nothing all at once. Thankfully I'm much better now but I still have my days where I feel like the tiniest thing might push me over the edge.

    Jenny
    http://www.jennyinneverland.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thank you for sharing your experiences. While I don't have GAD, your post made me think about my own anxiety and how I had a hard time in school because of it. Especially with tests! But I'm glad to know your still improving and growing.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! I'm so sorry that everyday things are such a struggle for you sometimes. It must be a battle to live with it. Thank you so much for opening up and informing us about it. It's great to have my eyes opened to something new and I'm sure your story has helped others with the same/ similar issues x

    Sophie
    www.glowsteady.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nice post! I feel for your struggles and relate. I’m fact, I just wrote about my history with anxiety and panic attacks on my blog this week. The constant fear is brutal. But if it offers any hope, after struggling with anxiety for 15 years, it is finally behind me. There is Hope! Thank you for sharing your experience. It will offer anyone who reads this with the assurance that they are not alone.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I can relate to this as I was diagnosed with GAD. Some days, it's just a chain of events!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thank you for your vulnerability - Sharing your experience in this way may open the door for someone else that has been keeping their own struggles buried away from the world, struggling in silence. This type of honesty is what helps people to know that they aren't alone.

    ReplyDelete

If you enjoyed this post, leave me a little message!
(Remember, please be kind)